- November 11, 2023
- Posted by: Systems Concern
- Category: Certification
Made in Green Certification in Pakistan: Ensure sustainability in Textile.
The textile industry holds a crucial position in the economy of Pakistan, making a substantial contribution to exports and generating employment opportunities for millions of individuals. Nevertheless, this sector confronts several obstacles, encompassing apprehensions regarding environmental sustainability and the welfare of laborers. In this regard, “Made in Green” by OEKO-TEX® is emerging as a ray of optimism for Pakistan’s textile industry. This certification system presents a route toward sustainable, ecologically sound, and socially responsible textile production.
Understanding “Made in Green”
“Made in Green” represents a product label and certification system that has been devised by OEKO-TEX®, an autonomous organization specializing in testing and certification, headquartered in Switzerland. This particular label guarantees that textile products have been manufactured within environmentally conscious establishments and in adherence to socially responsible labor conditions. By bearing the “Made in Green” label, consumers can rest assured that the product complies with rigorous criteria pertaining to sustainability and ethical production.
Why “Made in Green” Matters in Pakistan
Sustainable Textile Production:
Pakistan plays a prominent role in the global textile industry, being highly regarded for its expertise in cotton cultivation and textile production. However, this sector has often faced criticism due to its negative impact on the environment, including excessive water consumption, chemical usage, and energy consumption. In order to address these concerns, the “Made in Green” certification encourages textile manufacturers in Pakistan to adopt sustainable practices, such as reducing water and energy usage, minimizing waste generation, and utilizing environmentally friendly dyes and chemicals. By doing so, not only does this initiative protect the environment, but it also enhances the long-term sustainability of the industry.
Ethical Labor Practices:
The “Made in Green” label also places significant importance on guaranteeing equitable and secure working conditions for employees within the textile industry. In Pakistan, where labor rights have been a subject of apprehension, this certification presents an occasion for companies to showcase their dedication towards the welfare of their workforce. By adhering to the standards set by “Made in Green,” manufacturers can cultivate a favorable work atmosphere by providing just remuneration and ensuring the safety and overall welfare of their employees.
Global Market Access:
With the global rise in consumer consciousness regarding sustainability and ethical production practices, there has been a notable surge in the demand for products bearing certifications such as “Made in Green.” By acquiring this certification, textile manufacturers in Pakistan can effectively penetrate international markets, as they can provide buyers with the assurance that their products adhere to stringent sustainability and social responsibility criteria. Consequently, this can pave the way for amplified export prospects and foster economic growth within the nation.
Challenges and Opportunities
Although “Made in Green” presents several benefits for Pakistan’s textile industry, its adoption poses certain challenges. The implementation of sustainable practices may necessitate substantial investments in technology, training, and infrastructure. Nevertheless, such investments can result in long-term cost savings and improved competitiveness in global markets. Furthermore, the cooperation of industry stakeholders, government entities, and certification organizations is imperative for the successful implementation of “Made in Green” in Pakistan. Through collaborative efforts, they can more effectively address challenges such as wastewater treatment, chemical management, and worker training.
How to obtain OEKO-TEX® MADE IN GREEN
Please register for MADE IN GREEN at oeko-tex.com in order to gain access to the my OEKO-TEX® platform. Once registered, you may utilize the Supplier Management Tool on the my OEKO-TEX® platform to establish connections with your suppliers and gain a comprehensive view of your entire supply chain. Additionally, you may define your articles and related components within the MADE IN GREEN dashboard. Finally, you may create and download your MADE IN GREEN label directly from the dashboard.
Requirements to obtain a MADE IN GREEN Label requirements and criteria for end products that consumers can purchase from retailers are as follows:
- The product must be certified in accordance with either OEKO-TEX® STANDARD 100 or OEKO-TEX® LEATHER STANDARD.
- All manufacturers of ready-made clothes must hold certification according to OEKO-TEX® SteP.
- Single components that make up 5% or more of the total weight of the product, as well as at least 85% of the total weight of the product, must be sourced from OEKO-TEX® STeP-certified production facilities. This requirement applies specifically to facilities utilizing wet/chemical processes (excluding wet spinning processes). Metal and plastic accessories are not included in this criterion.
- All companies involved in this supply chain must register for the my OEKO-TEX® platform and actively utilize the MADE IN GREEN dashboard. In addition, for semi-finished products (B2B) that are sold to companies within the supply chain, the following additional criterion must be met.
- The owner of the MADE IN GREEN label must hold certification according to OEKO-TEX® STeP.
Your path to MADE IN GREEN
- Kindly utilize our designated form to submit a request for access to the database.
- Within the platform, extend an invitation to your suppliers to establish a connection with you.
- In the Dashboard, precisely specify your article and its corresponding components.
- In the Dashboard, generate your MADE IN GREEN label. Subsequently, you are authorized to affix the label on your products. As the proprietor of the label, it is incumbent upon you to ensure that all certificates underpinning MADE IN GREEN are current and valid at the time of label creation.
The MADE IN GREEN label holds validity for a period of one year. In the event that the stipulated requirements continue to be fulfilled, an application for an extension may be submitted.
The MADE IN GREEN label is applicable to all eligible entities operating within the supply chain, encompassing manufacturers, converters, wholesalers, retailers, and brands.
The labeling of MADE IN GREEN should be designed in a manner that effectively denotes the specific item to which the product ID is associated.
If the specified criteria are fulfilled, organizations are eligible to submit an application for a MADE IN GREEN certification.
Systems Concern is your Partner in Made in Green Certification Consultancy, Systems Concern is one of Pakistan’s top consulting firms and provides all-inclusiveMade in Green certificationconsultancy services. Systems Concern supports companies in negotiating the difficulties of acquiring and keepingMade in Green Certification because of its significant knowledge and competence in Made in Green Certification compliance. Visit Systems Concern’s website for further details and consulting services regardingMade in Green Certification. website: www.systemsconcern.com. You can also reach out to us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org for any queries or further information.